Behind the Headlines
Two-Cents Worth
Video of the Week
News Blurbs

Short Takes

Plain Talk

The Ryter Report


Bible Questions

Internet Articles (2015)
Internet Articles (2014)
Internet Articles (2013)
Internet Articles (2012)

Internet Articles (2011)
Internet Articles (2010)
Internet Articles (2009)
Internet Articles (2008)
Internet Articles (2007)
Internet Articles (2006)
Internet Articles (2005)
Internet Articles (2004)

Internet Articles (2003)
Internet Articles (2002)
Internet Articles (2001)

From The Mailbag

Order Books






Openings at $75K to $500K+

Pinnaclemicro 3 Million Computer Products

Startlogic Windows Hosting

Adobe  Design Premium¨ CS5

Get Your FREE Coffeemaker Today!

Corel Store

20 years


Hate Crimes and Racial or "Cultural" Minorities

By Jon Christian Ryter
Copyright 2003 - All Rights Reserved
To distribute this article, please post this web address or hyperlink

f Court TV had not made a decision to air the murder trial of Chante Jawan Mallard on Monday, June 23, 2003, only the people living in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas television viewing area would have known that a shocking, senseless murder had been committed in the early morning hours of October 26, 2001. The crime, which netted Mallard a 50-year prison sentence four days after the trial opened, went unreported in the mainstream media for 20 months.
     Why? The liberal mainstream media insists that it did not report the story because Texas state District Court Judge James R. Wilson imposed a gag order when Mallard was indicted in 2002. That argument is groundless since no court--county, state or federal--has the authority to order the media not to report a crime. And that court did not try to do so.

Wilson did limit the presence of TV cameras in the court room during the trial. His decision was based on the view that Court TV could—and should—provide footage to any TV station or network requesting trial footage. A gag order was imposed on the prosecution at the urging of the defense attorney, Jeff Kearney, who was afraid his client would be found guilty in the court of public opinion before the trial began and contaminate the potential jury pool. Because of the heinous nature of the crime, and the coverage within Bexlar County, Kearney tried to get a change-of-venue to move the trial out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Could it be that the media chose not to report the story because the murderer was black and her victim, his mangled body left dangling from the windshield of her Chevy Cavalier, was white? Had Mallard been white and Gregory Biggs black, would ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN have led with that story on the evening of March 8, 2002 when Mallard was arrested after one of her friends called the police and reported that Mallard had confessed to being responsible for Biggs’ death?

You can bet on it. Had the murderer been white and the victim black, the hate crime spinmeisters would have filled every empty motel room in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and crucified the white hate monger as they made a martyr out of the black victim.     

If Mallard had been white, how often, do you imagine, would that story have been aired between Mallard’s arrest and her trial? Very likely as many times as the media reported the story about James Byrd being dragged to death behind the pickup truck driven by Shawn Berry, John King and Larry Brewer, or as many times as the Matthew Sheppard story aired.

Matthew Sheppard was tied to a fence post and beaten to death in Wyoming by two heterosexual bigots because, they claimed, Sheppard propositioned them. The New York Times, ABC and USA Today ran over 1,000 reports about the Sheppard murder which the media labeled as a hate crime.

When 13-year old Jesse Dirkhising suffocated as he was brutally sodomized by two homosexual males: Davis Don Carpenter and Joshua Macabe Brown in Rogers, Arkansas on September 26, 1999, ABC never even touched the story. Nor did the New York Times. Nor did USA Today. Nor did they report on the murder of Greg Biggs in March, 2002 when Chante Mallard was charged with the crime. No newspaper outside of Texas covered the arrest of Mallard or the charges that were filed against her. Nor did they report, on September 20, when Mallard’s accomplices, Clete Deneal Jackson and his cousin, Herbert Tyrone Cleveland, pleaded guilty to charges for dumping Biggs’ mangled body in Cobb Park where it was discovered the day after he died in Chante Mallard’s garage. Jackson received a sentence of ten years for his role in the cover-up.

Cleveland was sentenced to nine years. Police initially thought Biggs had been the victim of a hit-and-run in Cobb Park and their investigation was focused in that direction. Had someone not stepped forward and identified Mallard as the person responsible for Biggs’ death, she would have escaped punishment for her crime.

The Dirkhising and Biggs’ murders were not labeled as hate crimes because the victims were not a racial or cultural “minority.” In the minds of the politically-correct, racial and cultural minorities are never the perpetuators of hate crimes--they are always the victims of them.

It is important to note the distinctions that made the Biggs’ tragedy a murder instead of an unfortunate accident. When Chante Mallard struck Gregory Glen Biggs, it was an accident. It became murder when she made a conscious decision to take the living victim of an accident to her home and hide him in her garage until he expired and then, in order to escape punishment for the lesser crime of causing an accident while under the influence of controlled substances, to reconstruct the “accident” elsewhere.

On the evening of October 26, 2001, Mallard, a 27-year old rehab nurse’s aide smoked several marijuana joints before going to Joe’s Big Bamboo Club at 2800 E. Pioneer Parkway in the University Plaza Shopping Center in Arlington with her best friend, Titlisee “T” Fry. According to trial testimony, Fry supplied Mallard with Ecstacy--which she washed down with gin. After a few drinks over several hours Mallard and Fry climbed into Mallard’s Chevy Cavalier (with Fry driving) and headed to Fry’s apartment. Mallard dropped Frye off at 2:30 a.m. and continued on alone to her own house. A few miles before her Village Creek Road exit in a working class Fort Worth neighborhood off Texas Rte. 287, Mallard struck Gregory Biggs, a 37-year old homeless man who was walking along the highway.

Fort Worth police said she struck Biggs with such force that he flew into the air and struck the windshield with his head. The impact was so violent that Biggs’ upper torso crashed through the windshield, wedging in the shattered safety glass that sprinkled Mallard. Biggs’ upper torso lay across the dashboard and his head touched the floor inside the car. His left leg was shattered and remained attached to his body only by the skin and the torn fabric of his pant leg. Biggs’ legs were turned in an impossible direction, suggesting that had he survived, it is likely he would have been paralyzed.

Although she claimed, in her appeal to the jury for leniency, that she stopped immediately and tried to pull Biggs from the windshield, testimony suggests Mallard did not stop until she reached a deserted area near some warehouses where she tried to pull Biggs from the car. Biggs begged her to get help. The medical examiner’s testimony suggested that had Mallard succeeded in pulling Biggs from the windshield and left him on the ground near the warehouses, it was very likely that he would be alive today since, Dr. Nizam Peewani testified, it probably took Biggs up to six hours to bleed to death. (The medical expert, and only witness, called by the defense [a medical examiner from another county], refuted Peewani’s timeline. The defense “expert” insisted that Biggs could not have lived longer than two hours before bleeding to death.)

 Unable to pull Biggs from the windshield outside the warehouse, Mallard--who was trained in CPR and could have easily applied a tourniquet to Bigg’s severed leg and saved his life--gave up trying. Instead of calling for help, she got back behind the wheel of her car and drove off with Biggs still hanging out the front windshield of the Cavalier. Astonishingly, she drove down a six-lane highway for two or three more miles to the Village Creek Road exit without anyone seeing her. (Granted, it was about 3 a.m., but even at 3 a.m. there is still traffic on most of the freeways around America’s largest metro areas.) Mallard then got off the freeway and drove, with the lower portion of Biggs’ torso still hanging out of her windshield, through a populated residential area to her home without being noticed by anyone.

Throughout this ordeal Biggs, who was still conscious, and was still begging her to drive him to a hospital or, at least, for her to call 911. Instead of taking him to a hospital, Mallard hid her car in her garage. Biggs was still begging for his life. Mallard sat behind the wheel, next to Biggs, crying as she apologized for hitting him with her car, telling him why she couldn’t call for help. Then, dismissing him as best she could, she went into the house and tried to call her former boyfriend, Clete Jackson, who had recently been released from prison. She was unable to reach him.

She returned to the garage to see if Biggs had died yet. He was still alive. He continued to beg for help. He had been hanging upside down in the windshield of her car for at least a half hour. It was now 3:30 a.m.

Mallard left the garage and went back in the house. This time, she called Fry. Fry told her to call 911. Mallard refused, telling Fry she didn’t want to go to jail. She told Fry she had been trying to reach Jackson, but he wasn’t home. She asked Fry to come and get her so they could go out and find him. Fry agreed and drove to Mallards.

Once there, Chante took “T” to the garage to see Biggs. The sight of Biggs’ contorted body frightened Fry. When “T” saw him--still pleading for help--she told Mallard to do something. “Call 911,” she said. Mallard replied that if she did, she would go to jail. She begged Fry to help her.

Fry testified that she told Mallard “I don’t want anything to do with this at all...” She told the jury the sight of Biggs scared her and she then left.

While Fry did in fact leave, she left with Mallard after agreeing to drive her friend around Fort Worth to see if they could find Clete Jackson at any of the local after hours haunts he customarily frequented. Mallard was convinced Jackson would know what to do--how to get rid of the body when the man in her windshield finally succumbed from his injuries.

After searching for what was likely another hour or so, Fry dropped Mallard off and got away from the crime scene as fast as she could. It now had to be close to 5 a.m. Biggs was still alive. Mallard got back on the phone.

This time, she reached Jackson and pleaded with him for help. Based on Jackson’s testimony in court, it appears likely that Biggs probably expired sometime between the time that Mallard reached him by phone and the time that Jackson arrived at her home. Based on the remark that Jackson made when he saw Biggs’ body, it is apparent he believed Biggs was still alive when he drove up to Mallard’s home because when he saw Biggs’ dead body, Jackson got mad.

He asked Mallard: “What did you call me for? I just got my life right.” To the jury in Mallard’s trial, he said: “I knew the dude was dead. I tasted death in the air--the same thing I smelled when my mom died. I knew she got me in trouble.”

Jackson was right. The trip to Chante’s house in the early morning of October 27 cost him ten years of his life. Jackson called his cousin Herbert Tyrone Cleveland to help dispose of Biggs’ body at Cobb Park. That ride cost Cleveland nine years. Even after Jackson and Cleveland pleaded guilty on September 20, 2001 to dumping Biggs’ body in Cobb Park in what the media described as a bizarre, callous, cold-hearted accident turned into murder, the media outside Texas refused to cover the story even though Mallard’s trial was yet to come because the crime--that was every bit as heinous as the James Byrd murder or as cold-blooded as the Matthew Sheppard killing--was committed by a black woman on a white man. The media--and the attorneys involved in the two highest profile hate crimes--argued that the murder of Matthew Sheppard qualified as a hate crime because Sheppard was killed by two homophobes. The killing of James Byrd, who was chained to the back of a pickup truck, also qualified as a hate crime because Byrd was dragged down a deserted dirt road by three white men in a pickup truck until his head and limbs were literally torn from his body.

What qualified them as hate crimes was not that both crimes were senseless, although they were. What made the Byrd murder a hate crime was that James Byrd was black and the three white men were known racists. Only someone who hated very intensely could do what Shawn Berry, John King and Lawrence Brewer did to Byrd. That caliber of inhumanity is rarely seen because only hate manifests it. The Byrd killing is the epitome of a hate crime. The Sheppard case was not. It was a crime for financial gain. Aaron James McKinney and Russell Henderson met Sheppard in a bar in Laramie, Wyoming. McKinney devised the scheme to pose as homosexuals in order to entice diminutive, 5’2” tall Sheppard to leave with them so they could take him to a deserted spot and rob him. One of the many stories told by McKinney and Henderson after their arrest (they were dumb enough to drop their own credit card at the scene of the crime) was that Sheppard had propositioned them and, on a testosterone-overload, they killed him because they were ostensibly insulted that Sheppard thought they might be gay.

Neither Byrd nor Sheppard posed a threat to their attackers so none of them could claim they were provoked. In fact, neither Sheppard nor Byrd tried, or even if they had wanted to, could have harmed their assailants. Their murders were senseless acts of heartlessness that defy human logic. That’s what qualified them as hate crimes. They slaughtered their prey like animals.

And that is the dilemma that faces us when we look at the actions of Chante Mallard, Joshua Brown and Davis Carpenter. The same elements: the senselessness of the act, the wanton disregard for human life, and the complete absence of even a grain of compassion for their victims that were apparent in the Matthew Sheppard and James Byrd killings were also evident in the killings of Jesse Dirkkising and Gregory Biggs.

However, the pundits of political correctness are quick to denounce the killing of 13-year old Jesse Dirkhising by Brown and Carpenter as a hate crime even though they used the heterosexual boy as a sex toy to satisfy their perverted cravings. Brown and Carpenter, they correctly maintain, did not make anti-heterosexual remarks when they sodomized Dirkhising. Dirkhising’s death, they maintain, was an accident.

They hold the same to be true in the case of Mallard. Mallard did not have a history of being anti-white. And, they insist, she did not deliberately hit Biggs with her car. She did, however, deliberately let him die to cover up the felony she committed due to having an accident while driving under the influence of controlled substances. All of the elements that make Sheppard and Byrd’s deaths hate crimes make the deaths of Dirkhising and Biggs hate crimes as well.

Let’s face it, murder is a hate crime. It requires intense hate to take a human life. In each instance, the killers acted without provocation. And while Lawrence Brewer, Shawn Berry, and John King acted out of an intense and publicly known KKK-type hatred for blacks--and did commit a hate crime in every sense of the meaning, McKinney and Henderson did not.

They used Sheppard’s homosexuality to entice him out of that bar in Laramie, Wyoming so they could rob him. Whether Sheppard’s death was the deliberate result of McKinney’s contempt for Sheppard’s chosen lifestyle, or was merely a miscalculation of how much of a beating the 110-pound man could endure, will likely never be known since McKinny and Henderson have changed their stories as often as the change of the weather. Henderson, who pleaded guilty to lesser charges and agreed to testify against McKinney, has recanted his guilty plea and is attempting to get a new trial. Both men now claim, in prison, that they beat Sheppard to death because he was a homosexual. Perhaps they did.

In any event, the argument launched by hate crime advocates is that hate crimes are exclusively “white-on-black” crimes, “white-on-homosexual” crimes, or “white-on-any-minority” crimes--but that they are never a “black-on-white” crimes.  Why?

Because if it was proven that blacks, homosexuals or other minorities committed as many--if not more--crimes on whites than whites commit on them, then not only would hate crime legislation not be merited, it would be seen for what it is: merely one more attempt by the liberal political correctness police to create supra-protection for government favored minorities.

That way, the dreaded middle class white male would be forced to think twice before instigating offenses against minorities--even to the extent of making slanderous racial comments since verbal abuse is now a felony punishable as a hate crime. (Scratch the adage: “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.”)

It is for that reason that the liberal media cringes whenever a black-on-white crime occurs anywhere in the country--and why they refuse to report them. And, when the reports finally leak into the public domain, and questions are raised why the liberal media ignores hate crimes against whites, they are quick to retort that there was no evidence collected in any black-on-white crime to suggest the motive for the crime was hate.

If contempt of ethnic origin is the determining factor in a hate crime then we need look no farther than the Wichita Massacre to see a black-on-white hate crime.

The massacre began during the early evening of December 14, 2000 when Reginald Carr and his brother Jonathan broke into a townhouse at the Woodgate Apartments that was leased to Jason Befort. In the apartment that evening were Befort, his fiancee Heather Muller, and their friends Brad Heyka, Aaron Sander--and the only survivor of that night of horror, “H.G.,” a 27-year old white female. H.G., who had been shot in the head, survived the execution-style shooting and ran, completely naked, a mile in the snow to find help.

Although they did not know it at the time, the Carr brothers were on the final leg of a nine day crime spree that would land them on death row in the Kansas penal system.

Seven days earlier, on Dec. 7, the Carrs’ abducted Andrew Schreiber and forced him to withdraw cash from several ATMs. When the ATM finally ate Schreiber’s card, they released him unharmed.

Ann Walenta, a 56-year old cellist with the Wichita Symphony Orchestra was not as lucky as Schreiber. On Dec. 11, three days before the massacre, the Carrs lay in wait for her at her home on Dublin Court in Wichita.

As she started to exit her vehicle, Walenta noticed two black men with (she said) “wire hair” approaching her car. Frightened, she quickly closed and locked the doors of her car. Reginald Carr told her they needed help. She rolled the window down. Carr immediately thrust a Lorcin .380 caliber automatic pistol through the window and fired one shot at point blank range, striking Walenta in the left breast.Still conscious, she frantically tried to roll the window back up. At the same time, she started the engine and began backing out of the driveway. Her assailant fired again. When the Carrs melted into the night a minute later, Walenta had been shot five times. She slumped over the steering wheel of her car, her spine severed by one of the bullets.

Still conscious but unable to move her lower body, Walenta began flashing the headlights on her car as she screamed for help. A neighbor, Anna Kelly, who thought she heard what sounded like three shots, saw the flashing lights and went outside to check. Kelly discovered her.  Walenta died from her wounds on January 2, 2001.

The Carr’s crime spree ended at the Woodgate Apartments.Once they broke into the Befort’s home with guns drawn, the Carr brothers forced the five occupants to strip. Once they were naked, they forced the five to have group sex. Then they pistol whipped the males and put them in separate rooms, warning each that if any of them attempted to escape they would kill everyone else. With the three males secured, the Carrs took turns repeatedly raping the two women and forcing them to perform oral sex on each other.

 When their sexual appetite was finally sated the Carrs took their victims, one at a time, to an ATM machine where they forced them to withdraw as much cash from their accounts as possible. Once they had exhausted the ATM cards, Reginald and Jonathan Carr forced their naked victims into a pickup truck with an enclosed camper and drove to a remote soccer field on the outskirts of Wichita. Then, forcing their victims to kneel in the snow, the Carrs executed them by shooting each in the head. Or rather, they thought they had successfully executed all of them.

H.G. was still alive--and she would testify at their trials. But, even more, H.G. would prove to be an embarrassment to Prosecuting Attorney Nola Foulston who, when the hate crime issue first surfaced, assured the media--and the interested conservatives--that there was no evidence to suggest that a hate crime had been committed.

She lay in the snow, waiting for the Carrs to leave. She was afraid to allow her naked body to shiver in the subfreezing temperatures lest the Carrs realize she was still alive and shoot her again. When she was sure they were gone, she forced herself to her feet and trudged for about a mile through the snow until she found help. H.G. identified her assailants to the Wichita police and the Carr’s were arrested. Heather Muller’s engagement ring and Andrew Schreiber’s stolen watch were found in the possession of Reginald Carr.

The Locin .380 pistol was found among Jonathan Carr’s possessions. It was conclusively proven that Carr’s gun was used at both murder scenes. It was also identified by Schreiber as the gun that was held on him. If you awoke in Wichita or Topeka on the morning of December 15, 2000 the first sketchy details of the massacre screamed out at you from the morning paper. But, if you awoke in Boston, or Philadelphia, or New York or Hoboken, New Jersey there was no mention of the mass murder--nor would there be. There was a virtual news blackout on the story. This was a hate crime--but the victims were white.

In her pre-trial testimony, H.G. testified that the Carr’s used racial slurs throughout the initial assault on the two women, and that the Carr’s taunted them with racial slurs as they executed them. Wichita homicide detective Ken Landwehr, who headed up the investigation, testified that what the police found at the soccer field should never have happened in Wichita. “It resembled a war zone,” he said. “It belonged in Bosnia.”

By the time the preliminary hearing was held in April, 2001, most of America had learned about the Wichita Massacre over the Internet. But the national media was still ignoring the case. Once again, the court judge--in this case, 18th Judicial District (Division 14) Judge Rebecca Pilshaw--imposed a gag order. The gag order restricted H.G. and the prosecution from discussing any aspect of the case to the media at the request of Reginald and Jonathan Carr’s attorneys who were afraid that allegations of a hate crime would fan civic fervor to a fever pitch, resulting in a guilty verdict--and a death sentence--for their clients.

It is interesting that when the Byrd case and the Matthew Sheppard case were being tried in the media, those judges did not impose gag orders to prevent witnesses, lawyers or special interest groups from arguing that the “special” civil rights of the victims were violated when the crimes against them were committed.

As Pilshaw saw the volatility of the issues that were going to surface in the Wichita Massacre case, she issued a statement saying: “I don’t have the ability to order a lot of people to do or not do certain things. But I am going to make a very, very strong suggestion that people do not talk about this,” adding that “...the less that is said about these things, the better it will be for all parties involved.”

 Nola Foulston, the prosecuting attorney spent a good portion of her time trying to defuse comments from conservative columnists like Armstrong Williams and others who insisted that the primary ingredients of a hate crime existed in Wichita. Even though the Carr brothers were African-Americans and all the victims were white, Foulston said that “The fact that the defendants and victims happen to be of different races has no bearing.”

 In his Internet column that was posted on www.blackelector-ate.com on October 23, 2002 when the trial of the Carr brothers began, columnist Armstrong Williams provided a sketch of the crime. He wrote: “...Like the James Byrd dragging death, in which two white men chained a black man to their truck and dragged him a dirt road, the Carr brothers acted without provocation. The two black Americans simply picked four white people, then brutally and arbitrarily violated their right to live. Both murders were pointless acts of racial aggression. Both assaults represent a savage disregard for those basic rules that keep us huddled together as a society. (The Carr brothers were convicted of aggravated capital murder, and on November 15, 2000 they were sentenced to death.)

 “Unlike the Byrd murder, however, the Wichita massacre received little national exposure, largely because the victims were white. That means no Jesse Jackson screaming into his megaphone about how the government needs to wipe out racial violence. And no Rev. Al Sharpton fulminating into his power horn about the need for a special category of law dealing with racially motivated crimes. Hardly anyone even raised an eyebrow when Wichita officials declined to try this case as a hate crime.”

Frankly speaking, even if Foulston had wanted to, the liberal hucksters of political correctness would not have allowed it to happen. Foulston would have risked her position as District Attorney since if the liberals were forced to admit that blacks and other minorities are capable of committing hate crimes against whites, they would be hard pressed to enact legislation that granted special protection to blacks, homosexuals and other minorities when they were victims of crimes committed by whites.



Just Say No
Copyright 2009 Jon Christian Ryter.
All rights reserved